Wednesday, September 11, 2024

WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE #568


Thank you Joyce.
If you want to join in click HERE

1. When the Hodgepodge lands on September 11th I want to acknowledge that. Will you purposely pause to remember, pray, or attend any sort of ceremony on 9/11? Share any thoughts or memories you'd like to share about this day. 

I will definitely pause to remember and pray for the families who lost their loved ones. 

On that day I took Mark to the airport for a very early flight. When I got home I ended up turning on the TV and saw what was happening. One of the buildings had already been hit. I immediately texted Mark and they were on the runway and not about to leave. I had to pick him up later that day. 

Also, my dad was in town and he was at my Aunt and Uncle's house who are very late sleepers. I had to call and wake them up. They had to see this. 

Several years later we went to New York and it was beautiful and sad to see the Memorial for those who lost their lives. 





2. Growing up, did you spend a lot of time with your grandparents? What's something you learned from a grandparent? 3. What's your go-to breakfast? 

Yes, I spent a good deal of time with them on both sides of the family. My dad's parents didn't drive so it was when my dad could drive us to their house. My mother's parents lived not to far away but they eventually moved to Florida when I was in my teens. I loved both sets of grandparents. 

I would say that I learned some cooking from my mom's mom and she was a great baker too. After they had moved to Florida they would come and stay in our basement which was fixed up for them. I think they would spend about 3 months with us. So that was awesome. 

I like an egg sandwich on toast or a bagel, with cheese. Otherwise I saute spinach and mix in beaten eggs to make kind of an omelette. I don't do breakfast very often. 

4. Tell us the story behind one of your favorite photos. 

I have a lot of favorite photos but this one always brings back some wonderful memories. We moved to California around 1989. My dad came to visit, I'm not sure when this was, and we spent the day at Disneyland. 

I miss my father so much. He and I talked on the phone everyday. He sadly passed about just before the pandemic started at age 96. It was like 4 months before his 97th birthday. 

So in this photo I thought it would be cute to get the three of them with the Mickey Mouse ice cream bar. Right before I took the picture my dad took a bite out of one the ears on his. I remember saying something to him about it, like you couldn't wait?


5. This week Friday lands on the 13th. Are you superstitious in any way? Do you like scary movies, and if so what's your favorite?

I can't say that I am superstitious. I'm not crazy about scary movies but I have watched several of them years ago. Since Beetlejuice is listed under scary movies I will go with that one. Also, I am looking forward to seeing the new one. 

6. Insert your own random thought here.

You may have heard about the fires here in Southern California. We are safe but we can see them from our house. One we can see from the backyard and one we can see from the front yard. We also saw one of the others when we were driving home from Costco today. 

This was from the backyard on Monday night. 


This was from the front yard Monday night. 

This was the sun Monday night through the smoke. 

This was also the fire from the front of the house.
We drove to get some photos. 

This is when we walked out of Costco yesterday. 
That is from the fire we saw Monday in front of the house.






17 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Gosh Debby! Your proximity to the fires chills me. How is that affecting your breathing?
How fortunate for Mark his plane hadn't taken off and have to land in a strange city. My Tom was actually at the boarding gate in Phoenix, waiting to come back home (Tampa). He had to phone his daughter to turn the car around and come back to pick him up.

Mrs.T said...

Wow, those fires! Sobering to have them so close.

We had smoke here in New England earlier this summer from fires in Canada. It was so odd to see the sun through the smoke, just like your picture.

How fun that must have been to have your grandparents in their own place in your home for a few months each year. I learned a few things about cooking and baking from my maternal grandmother.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Those fires are so scary! Yes, I'm remembering all those innocents lost twenty-three years ago. I did post my thoughts on my latest blog post. Blessings, Debby!

Susan said...

The fires are awful! I like that picture of you with your Mickey ice-cream. Stay safe!

Joyce said...

I hope you're spending a lot of time indoors with all that smoke in the air. When we visited my daughter once when she was living in Washington, there were horrible fires in Canada and the air quality in Washington was horrible. I couldn't be outside without coughing. Great pic of your dad! I don't think we ever stop missing the ones we love.

photowannabe said...

You are so right, I will never forget anything about 9 11.
I don't have enough energy to repost about my experiences of that time. I will try tomorrow to do a blogpost.
The fires are terrible. they are like all of ours in No. CA. Frightening. Hope it won't affect you breathing too badly. Great descriptive photos though, especially those that are so close. Stay safe.
Sue

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Those photos are amazing. I'm thankful they aren't too close to you, but I sure wouldn't go outside any oftener than necessary. I love the picture of your father with the kids and that he ate the mouse ear before you took the picture. That sounds like something my dad would do. Love it. We will never forget 9/11.

Anne in the kitchen said...

I have been following the coverage of the fire via TV. Your pictures are kind of frightening, especially since wild fires here are generally very small and easily contained.

Ann said...

That would be a little too close for comfort for me with those fires. That's scary

MadSnapper said...

that fire is so scary, glad it is far away. we can smell the fire when it burns in Orlando, a year or so ago, smoke travels far for sure.
ha ha on the ear bitten off, precious photo. sounds like you had fun grandparents, you moved to CA when we moved from St Pete to Bradenton in 1989

CheerfulMonk said...

Fires are scary! Stay safe from the smoke even if the flames are far enough away. I’m glad you had your dad as long as you did, and that you were so close. ❤️

Kym said...

Those fires are very concerning! Stay safe - I have an uncle in California so I try to pay attention and be praying when there are wildfires.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I agree with all - stay safe and try not to breathe in that smoky air too much. Thank you for acknowledging 9-11 - we lost a nephew, a young father with three children, who perished in one of the towers. A very sad day for our country and all the families personally affected in profound ways.

Pam said...

I hurts to see how spread apart our nation is at this point and remembering how close we pulled together on 9/11. I know that families prob honor those lost but I wonder how they feel when they relive it every yr all over our nation? Hurt, pain, pride? Who knows. As for spending time with my grands. They lived in another state. Both my moms parents and my dads mom. When we visited it seemed that mom and dad spent more time with them than the kids but we have cousins! However, I did a visit with my granny, and cousins when I graduated from high school and I loved it. Breakfast, don't normally eat breakfast. Hoping that smoke is not so bad for you. stay in as much as you can

Simone said...

I'm from Southern California and the fires are beyond alarming. We have some here in Oregon that are continuing. What a special memory of your dad. I worked at Disneyland and I could get in free on my off days. One day, I signed my dad in and got him and I ice cream. He just wanted to sit on the bench and watch people and talk. That was it. He didn't want anything more than to be there with me and his ice cream. :) He is now gone and I hold that memory close.

Kirstin said...

I enjoyed your answers and your photos...wow crazy what you can see from your home. I'm sure your lungs are not enjoying the smoke. Even when we get some mild smoke from fires in Oregon/Washington and canada it bothers my throat...I am in Washington.

Carla from The River said...

Hello Debby, we just returned from a trip to Central Wisconsin. It was a fun little getaway. We did have smoke sky here in Wisconsin from all the fires. Praying that fire season ends soon.
Love, Carla

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Southern California, United States
Follow Just Breathe

Labels

Wednesday Hodgepodge (581) Family (246) Birthdays (161) Vacation (139) Funny (131) Tuesday 4 Meme (127) James (111) Tuesday 4 (104) Skye (99) Post It (95) Movies (89) Christmas (67) JP (61) Random (40) Award (39) Florida (32) Easter (30) Health (30) Thanksgiving (28) Montana (24) Flowers (23) Mother's Day (22) Father's Day (21) Vegas (20) tag (20) God (19) My Dad (19) Ornaments (19) Anniversary (18) Friend (18) Europe (17) Friday Fragments (17) I've Got Nothing (17) New Year (17) Halloween (16) 4th of July (15) Chicago (15) Doctor (15) Meet Me on Monday (15) Oscars (15) Friday Fill-In (14) Mammoth Lakes (14) Sky (14) VALENTINE'S DAY (14) Debby's Tree (13) For Your Tears (13) House (13) Giveaway (12) Memorial Day (12) Recipes (12) 9/11 (11) Bake (11) Paris (11) This or That (11) Wedding (11) Asthma (10) Carlsbad (10) Labor Day (10) Holiday (9) Just Because (9) Love (9) Rainbow (9) Shopping (9) Sick (9) Birthday (8) Disney World (8) Round Robin (8) Veterans Day (8) Fat Ass Friday (7) Frustration (7) London (7) Mark (7) Plants (7) Prayer (7) bowling (7) heart (7) 2011 (6) Apples (6) Car (6) Christmas Tree (6) Disneyland (6) Fall (6) Houston (6) Loss (6) Miscellaneous (6) PINTEREST (6) Pictures (6) Thankful (6) Video (6) Change (5) Company (5) Earth Day (5) Following (5) Help (5) Monday Smiles (5) One Word (5) Pittsburgh (5) Princess Diana (5) Quiz (5) Spring (5) Super Bowl (5) The Flower Fields (5) Time (5) Wizard of Oz (5) 2 on Tuesday (4) Blogiversary (4) Breast Cancer Awareness (4) COVID-19 (4) Christmas 2012 (4) Christmas 2013 (4) Christmas 2015 (4) Dogs (4) Down (4) Fire (4) Grandparents (4) Housework (4) Memory Monday (4) Murphy's Law (4) On Our Way (4) Remembrance (4) Sundays In My City (4) Wine (4) AMERICAN IDOL (3) Anxiety (3) Blog (3) Cats and Dogs (3) Christmas 2020 (3) Christmas 2021 (3) Clouds (3) Crockpot (3) Don't grow old (3) Food (3) Gift (3) In Memoriam (3) Italy (3) La Jolla (3) Ladybug (3) May Day (3) Movie (3) Moving in (3) Museum (3) NO-REPLY (3) New York (3) Pizza (3) Reader (3) Royal Wedding (3) San Diego Zoo (3) Signs (3) St.Patrick's Day (3) Summer (3) Weight (3) star (3) 2010 (2) Babysitting (2) Big Brother (2) Bodie (2) Bristlecone (2) Bucket List (2) Christmas 2014 (2) Christmas 2017 (2) Christmas 2018 (2) Christmas 2022 (2) Christmas 2023 (2) Covid (2) Cowboy (2) Deer (2) Fishing (2) Five Questions (2) Friday Foto Friends (2) Full Moon (2) Goals (2) Graduations (2) Hallmark (2) Heavyhearted (2) Jack's Tree (2) Jay's Gourmet (2) Knee Replacement (2) Leaves (2) Less is More (2) MAYDAY (2) Meme (2) Mini Cooper (2) Mission Inn (2) Mojo (2) Mountains (2) NYC (2) Old Age (2) Ouch (2) Out to Live (2) Party (2) Potluck (2) Presents (2) Purchased (2) Ranunculus (2) Robot (2) Royal Baby (2) Safari Park (2) Show and Tell (2) Simplify (2) Slap me (2) Snow (2) Sorrow (2) Stranger (2) TBB Asks (2) Tears (2) Things to do (2) Trees (2) Weekend Wrap-Up (2) Wilson Winery (2) '09 card exchange (1) 000 (1) 2016 (1) 2020 (1) 3 On Thursday (1) 48 Questions (1) All My Children (1) Always something (1) Ankle (1) Antiques (1) Aria (1) Bath (1) Billy Elliot (1) Bird (1) Bra (1) Brookfield Zoo (1) COPD (1) Call the Midwife (1) Candles (1) Celebration (1) Chairs (1) Christmas '09 (1) Christmas 2016 (1) Christmas 2019 (1) Church (1) Citizens arrest (1) City lights (1) Clocks (1) Cows (1) DMV (1) DVD (1) Discombobulated (1) Donations (1) Downton Abbey (1) F.Y.I. (1) Fair (1) Farmers Market (1) Favorite Things (1) Featured (1) Finley (1) Flag Day (1) Football (1) Getty (1) Giving (1) Good Morning (1) Grandson (1) Grapes (1) Happy New Year (1) Hoover Dam (1) Horseback Riding (1) IKEA (1) Idol (1) Idyllwild (1) Independence Day (1) Jesus (1) Joshua Tree National Park (1) Julian Bakery (1) June (1) LaJolla (1) Lavender Festival (1) Lifetime (1) Lost (1) Low Carb Treats (1) Madness (1) Mellow Yellow Monday (1) Moment of Silence (1) Music (1) Nana (1) Negative (1) Nipples (1) Nobody Is Home (1) Note Book Journey (1) Nurses (1) Oak Glen (1) One Word 2022 (1) One of those days (1) Owls (1) PT (1) Pinecones (1) Playing Hooky (1) Post 1 (1) President (1) Pretty in Pink (1) Puppy (1) Queen Mary (1) Quick Takes (1) Randomness (1) Regrets (1) Ringling (1) Rock/Hard Place (1) Roosters (1) Route 66 (1) SOS (1) Sale (1) Salt and Pepper Shakers (1) San Diego Harbor (1) Saturday 9 (1) She Loves Me (1) Silver Lining (1) Snail Mail (1) Spam (1) Speak English (1) Spider (1) Spin Cycle (1) Stamps (1) Stars (1) Stoned (1) Summer Lovin' (1) Sunday Stealing (1) Sunset (1) Surprise (1) Survey (1) Swim (1) TBT (1) TP (1) Temecula CA (1) Templates (1) Thank You (1) The Getty Villa (1) The Sistine Chapel (1) Time Out (1) Treasures (1) Trends (1) Trying. Something New (1) Twilight Saga (1) Two On Tuesday (1) USA (1) VOTE 2012 (1) Wicked (1) Willow Tree (1) Windsor Tea (1) Winner (1) Worldwide Candle Lighting (1) Zoo (1) button (1) closet (1) cottage (1) digging (1) handkerchief (1) karma (1) memory (1) tests (1) webkinz (1)