Wednesday, March 8, 2023

WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE #495

Thank you Joyce.
To join in the fun click HERE

1. We're in to a season students call 'spring break'. Did you/your family travel over spring breaks when you were growing up?  Tell us something about a 'spring break' you remember (from childhood or adulthood, either one). 

I don't remember traveling during spring break. I believe we took some trips in the summer. We would go to Union Pier Michigan where my fathers parents had a summer home. As it turns out, this was a beach town where many people who came over from Czechoslovakia, who lived in Chicago, ended up going to for a place in the summer. 

We would walk to town to with my grandmother, get ice cream cones and there was a very cool store in town which of course had candy, toys and beach toys, along with clothes. It was one of those places where there was sand on the floor and I remember the screen door making noise when it was opened. 

We would often stay with them and my parents would come up on the weekend and that's when we would go to the beach. My grandparents didn't drive. They may have driven earlier in their lives but I don't ever remember seeing them drive. 

2. Last thing you broke? Was it a big deal? 

I am not coming up with anything but I'm sure something will come to me later when I'm reading your answers. 

3. March 7th is National Cereal Day...are you a fan? What's your favorite? If not cereal what's your favorite breakfast? Your typical breakfast? 

I don't always eat breakfast but it is definitely something I want to start doing again. I have Trader Joe's O's and I usually use almond milk. Every once in awhile we will have an egg sandwich if Mark is into it. He doesn't like breakfast at all. I also like oatmeal. We actually had the egg sandwiches for dinner last night. 

4. Break ground, break of dawn, break down, break the bank, break one's stride, break the ice, break a law, break a habit, break bread...choose one of the idioms listed and tell us how it applies to your life currently. 

I'm going to go with break of dawn. I woke up at 3 am on Monday morning because of my lungs and had to do a breathing treatment. I never got back to bed after that and was actually up until 11 pm that night. 

My lungs were definitely better on Tuesday morning and praying they stay that way. It has been a rough four weeks for me. 

5. Where do you go to connect with friends and family? What do you like to do most when you're home alone? 

As you know, we only have Adam, Gabby and James here in California. So that's where we go on a Friday, Saturday or a Sunday a few weekends out of the month. My favorite thing to do, besides driving to Montana to see Amber and Dylan. We should be heading there in June when Dylan will have some time off from work to hang with us. 

6. Insert your own random thought here. 


16 comments:

MadSnapper said...

I enjoyed your memories of your child hood. My Dad's mother never learned to drive. she die in 1959 but was born in 1887 and never learned. I can't think of anything i have broken just like you. we never visit friedn or relatives so that one is easy. and I knew your 2 favorite things were James and visiting him and Amber. glad the treatment worked. i woke up at 2 am this morning in a mini axiety attack and could not shut my mind down

Debi said...

Glad your lung treatment worked and you are feeling better. I love reading about your visits with James!

Chatty Crone said...

I hope your lungs stay good too. You need to stay kapoot and get them healed.
I love oatmeal too. I am glad you have family there too. Makes a difference.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

How I hate the time change!
Glad to know you're feeling better, Debby. Being sick, especially with lung issues, is no picnic.
Enjoy your week!

Cathy said...

Glad you're feeling better and I hope you continue to. I enjoyed reading your answers and I hope you have a great day.

Carla from The River said...

Hi Debby,
I hope you are feeling better.
How exciting to be planning a trip to Montana. :-) We still want to get out that way to visit Bobby Jean.
I wrote about Daylight Savings time in my random too.
xx oo
Carla

Ann said...

Not only did I never travel much as a child I don't much as an adult either. Not that I don't want to, it just never happens.

photowannabe said...

Spring Break was never in my vocabulary until college times. Usually the teachers had us doing a major project over the time off and so it never was a going places thing.
At our former church the break time was the time for Teens and college kids to go on the mission trip to Mexico. for 12 years I did that too as a part of the adult kitchen crew. Good memories but now my apron has been hung on the hook for good.
So glad your lungs are doing better. Good News.
Sue

Lisa said...

I really enjoyed reading your answers. When you were talking about the store with the sand on the floor, I felt like I could feel the sand on my bare feet!!

Kym said...

Such interesting spring break memories from your childhood! Loved reading that. Hope you have a great week!

CheerfulMonk said...

I'm so sorry about your lungs. I hope they stay feeling better, and I'm glad you have the trip to Montana to look forward to. ❤️

ellen b. said...

I'm glad your lungs were better. I do hope they get better and better. I forgot about oatmeal. Glad you have family close to you!

Mevely317 said...

How I wish I could travel back in time and visit Union Pier with you. That store sounds delightful!

bp said...

Hope you continue to feel better. Oh yes, Daylight Savings time...it always seems to fall on our spring break.

Caleb got your mail this week, thank you.

Susan said...

Hi Debby, Glad your treatment helped. Do you think all this rain is messing with your lungs? I sure hope we can meet this year! Enjoy your weekend!

Joyce said...

I hope your lungs are healing and you're feeling better. I am always an early riser, but with the time change it was extra early today. It's supposed to rain most of the day which we need, plus the pollen is crazy so rain helps bring it down, but it's going to make me want to nap too : ) Have a nice week!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Southern California, United States
Follow Just Breathe

Labels

Wednesday Hodgepodge (561) Family (241) Birthdays (160) Vacation (138) Funny (131) Tuesday 4 Meme (127) Tuesday 4 (104) James (101) Skye (99) Post It (95) Movies (89) Christmas (67) JP (61) Random (40) Award (39) Florida (32) Easter (30) Health (29) Thanksgiving (28) Flowers (23) Mother's Day (20) Vegas (20) tag (20) Father's Day (19) God (19) My Dad (19) Ornaments (19) Friend (18) Anniversary (17) Europe (17) Friday Fragments (17) I've Got Nothing (17) New Year (17) Halloween (16) Chicago (15) Meet Me on Monday (15) Montana (15) Oscars (15) 4th of July (14) Doctor (14) Friday Fill-In (14) Mammoth Lakes (14) Sky (14) VALENTINE'S DAY (14) Debby's Tree (13) For Your Tears (13) Giveaway (12) House (12) Recipes (12) 9/11 (11) Memorial Day (11) Paris (11) This or That (11) Wedding (11) Asthma (10) Bake (10) Carlsbad (10) Holiday (9) Just Because (9) Labor Day (9) Love (9) Rainbow (9) Shopping (9) Sick (9) Disney World (8) Round Robin (8) Veterans Day (8) Fat Ass Friday (7) Frustration (7) London (7) Mark (7) Plants (7) heart (7) 2011 (6) Apples (6) Birthday (6) Christmas Tree (6) Disneyland (6) Fall (6) Houston (6) Loss (6) Miscellaneous (6) PINTEREST (6) Pictures (6) Prayer (6) Thankful (6) Video (6) bowling (6) Car (5) Change (5) Company (5) Earth Day (5) Following (5) Help (5) Monday Smiles (5) One Word (5) Pittsburgh (5) Princess Diana (5) Quiz (5) Spring (5) Sundays In My City (5) Super Bowl (5) The Flower Fields (5) Time (5) Wizard of Oz (5) 2 on Tuesday (4) Blogiversary (4) Breast Cancer Awareness (4) COVID-19 (4) Christmas 2012 (4) Christmas 2013 (4) Christmas 2015 (4) Down (4) Grandparents (4) Housework (4) Memory Monday (4) Murphy's Law (4) On Our Way (4) Remembrance (4) Wine (4) AMERICAN IDOL (3) Blog (3) Cats and Dogs (3) Christmas 2020 (3) Christmas 2021 (3) Clouds (3) Crockpot (3) Dogs (3) Don't grow old (3) Fire (3) Food (3) Gift (3) In Memoriam (3) Italy (3) La Jolla (3) Ladybug (3) May Day (3) Movie (3) Moving in (3) Museum (3) NO-REPLY (3) New York (3) Pizza (3) Reader (3) Royal Wedding (3) San Diego Zoo (3) Signs (3) St.Patrick's Day (3) Summer (3) Weight (3) star (3) 2010 (2) Anxiety (2) Babysitting (2) Big Brother (2) Bodie (2) Bristlecone (2) Bucket List (2) Christmas 2014 (2) Christmas 2017 (2) Christmas 2018 (2) Christmas 2022 (2) Christmas 2023 (2) Cowboy (2) Deer (2) Fishing (2) Five Questions (2) Friday Foto Friends (2) Full Moon (2) Goals (2) Graduations (2) Hallmark (2) Heavyhearted (2) Jack's Tree (2) Jay's Gourmet (2) Knee Replacement (2) Leaves (2) Less is More (2) MAYDAY (2) Meme (2) Mini Cooper (2) Mission Inn (2) Mojo (2) Mountains (2) NYC (2) Old Age (2) Ouch (2) Out to Live (2) Party (2) Potluck (2) Presents (2) Purchased (2) Ranunculus (2) Robot (2) Royal Baby (2) Safari Park (2) Show and Tell (2) Simplify (2) Slap me (2) Snow (2) Sorrow (2) Stranger (2) TBB Asks (2) Tears (2) Things to do (2) Trees (2) Weekend Wrap-Up (2) Wilson Winery (2) '09 card exchange (1) 000 (1) 2016 (1) 2020 (1) 3 On Thursday (1) 48 Questions (1) All My Children (1) Always something (1) Ankle (1) Antiques (1) Aria (1) Bath (1) Billy Elliot (1) Bird (1) Bra (1) Brookfield Zoo (1) COPD (1) Call the Midwife (1) Candles (1) Celebration (1) Chairs (1) Christmas '09 (1) Christmas 2016 (1) Christmas 2019 (1) Church (1) Citizens arrest (1) City lights (1) Clocks (1) Cows (1) DMV (1) DVD (1) Discombobulated (1) Donations (1) Downton Abbey (1) F.Y.I. (1) Fair (1) Farmers Market (1) Favorite Things (1) Featured (1) Finley (1) Flag Day (1) Football (1) Getty (1) Giving (1) Good Morning (1) Grandson (1) Grapes (1) Happy New Year (1) Hoover Dam (1) Horseback Riding (1) IKEA (1) Idol (1) Idyllwild (1) Independence Day (1) Jesus (1) Joshua Tree National Park (1) Julian Bakery (1) June (1) LaJolla (1) Lavender Festival (1) Lifetime (1) Lost (1) Low Carb Treats (1) Madness (1) Mellow Yellow Monday (1) Moment of Silence (1) Music (1) Nana (1) Negative (1) Nipples (1) Nobody Is Home (1) Note Book Journey (1) Nurses (1) Oak Glen (1) One Word 2022 (1) One of those days (1) Owls (1) PT (1) Pinecones (1) Playing Hooky (1) Post 1 (1) President (1) Pretty in Pink (1) Puppy (1) Queen Mary (1) Quick Takes (1) Randomness (1) Regrets (1) Ringling (1) Rock/Hard Place (1) Roosters (1) Route 66 (1) SOS (1) Sale (1) Salt and Pepper Shakers (1) San Diego Harbor (1) Saturday 9 (1) She Loves Me (1) Silver Lining (1) Snail Mail (1) Spam (1) Speak English (1) Spider (1) Spin Cycle (1) Stamps (1) Stars (1) Stoned (1) Summer Lovin' (1) Sunday Stealing (1) Sunset (1) Surprise (1) Survey (1) Swim (1) TBT (1) TP (1) Temecula CA (1) Templates (1) Thank You (1) The Getty Villa (1) The Sistine Chapel (1) Time Out (1) Treasures (1) Trends (1) Trying. Something New (1) Twilight Saga (1) Two On Tuesday (1) USA (1) VOTE 2012 (1) Wicked (1) Willow Tree (1) Windsor Tea (1) Winner (1) Worldwide Candle Lighting (1) Zoo (1) button (1) closet (1) cottage (1) digging (1) handkerchief (1) karma (1) memory (1) tests (1) webkinz (1)