Monday, April 6, 2020

IN MEMORY OF MY FATHER

This is copied from my Facebook page from Thursday the 2nd of April for those who do not follow me there. I have added some of the same pictures and some new ones......

It comes with great sadness to have to tell you that my Father Ray Vlcek passed away early this morning in his sleep. (June 25, 1923 - April 2, 2020) He was a gentle and kind man who had love in his heart for others. I will miss him so much. He was my best friend and I will miss talking with him everyday.
He has been asking God to take him for the last 3 months. Yesterday he told me to make sure that everyone knows that he loved them very much. He also said that he was hoping he could make it to his birthday so he could meet baby James and Gabby in person. He will be missed by his entire family and his friends.
"Dad, I hope you had a wonderful reunion with Mom this morning." The picture of the rainbow my  mom sent to him on his 95th birthday. My Mom has been sending rainbows to us ever since she passed away 38 years ago.


Mom and Dad when they were dating.
 A picnic when we were young.
 Church one Sunday in the '50's.
My wedding in 1972.
Kissing Adam as a toddler.
Amber as a newborn.
Adam and Amber with Grandpa.
Adam and Amber with Grandpa one Christmas.
(these B&W are from a photo book I made him)
Grandpa reading to them. 
Amber, Grandpa and Adam at his cottage. 
At Disneyland with Grandpa. I remember he took a bite out of his Mickey ears before the photo!
When they were young adults with Grandpa.
Dylan and Amber with Grandpa.

 Me and my dad several years ago.
Dancing with Amber at her wedding.
 Me dancing with my dad at her wedding.
(this photo was taken out of an old frame, hence the messed up cheek)
My dad with Skye in 2009.
My dad posing for me on one of my visits.
 His 90th birthday party!
With his children at his 95th birthday!
Debby, Dad, Darcy and Raymond
The rainbow my mom sent on his 95th!
Him and I in June last summer.

Of course the Covid-19 has changed this as far as us being their for a funeral. There is a viewing on Thursday morning. (It will be streamed) My sister and her family in Florida will be there. They must all be 15 ft apart, only 10 people and they must wear masks.

My dad will have most of his wishes meet except for us being there, a mass at church, and all of his friends who loved him. His priest will be there to speak and pray over him. The family can't gather after the service, they will all head back home. My dad will be sent to Illinois at Woodlawn Cemetery to be placed in the crypt with my mother as soon as he can be put on a flight.

When things get better, months from now or a year from now we will have a celebration of life in Florida for him with our whole family gathering for that. 

17 comments:

Ann said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. It must be heartbreaking to not be able to spend this time with family.
This was a beautiful tribute to your father.

MadSnapper said...

so sorry for your loss and that it came at this time of crisis, and the loss of the gathering you all want to do. a viewing online is very creative

Mevely317 said...

A life well lived! I know you cherish these precious memories, Debby. I'll be thinking of you on Thursday morning.

Cathy said...

I am so sorry Debby for your loss. You are in my prayers. I do love all the memories you shared here. He seems like such a wonderful man.

Rebecca Jo said...

OH Debbie - I am so sorry... but what a dream for all of us - to pass in your sleep. To be in dreams & have them come to reality when you find yourself in Heaven.
I am so heartbroken for those who have to say goodbyes with funerals in this strange time where you cant be surrounded by all the loved ones. Lifting prayers of comfort

The Feminine Energy said...

Awwww Debby, I am so so sorry for your loss. I had tears streaming down my cheeks as I read this and looked at all those precious pictures! Our lives were much the same, yours & mine, when we were young & growing up.... from the looks of those pictures... and I think my tears were for your loss as well as mine. My Daddy died 33 years ago and I still miss him to this day. My prayers are with you as you grieve and I hope you can think upon your Dad sometime soon, with smiles rather than tears. Lovingly your friend~ Andrea *gentle hugs*

Sandi said...


A life well-lived.

My condolences, Debby.

betty said...

Wonderful man he was Debby. So much love shown in these pictures. Praying for you and especially on Thursday. Good with the celebration of life down the road. He lived a life worth celebrating and celebrating it well.

Betty

Chatty Crone said...

I know you are sad and I am sad for you.
I have to say though he had a wonderful life - he lived a long time and saw many things.
The pictures told such a wonderful story.
I can tell you loved him very much.
Gosh to die in this time - changes the funeral quite a bit.
I know you feel bad that you are not there - but your heart is there.
Sandie

Theresa said...

Debby, I am very sorry for your loss. May the precious memories you have bring you comfort through these difficult days.

Susan said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad Debby. I know how hard it is. I am glad you shared the pictures. I did the same for my parents. I will keep you in prayer.

Mara said...

Again, so sorry. How are you holding up?

Gloria said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a loved one,
I know because I have lost both parents too.
Your tribute to your father was beautiful.

Michelle said...

Debby, I am so sorry for your loss. This is a wonderful tribute. Thank you for posting. ((Hugs))

Carla from The River said...

Praying my dear friend.
xx oo
Carla

bp said...

I'm so sorry. You have some special memories and photos you shared here.

My prayers for comfort are with you.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Oh, Debby - I'm been away from the bogs for a bit and just now saw this. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know how close you were to your dad. May he rest in peace.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Southern California, United States
Follow Just Breathe

Labels

Wednesday Hodgepodge (560) Family (241) Birthdays (160) Vacation (138) Funny (131) Tuesday 4 Meme (127) Tuesday 4 (104) James (101) Skye (99) Post It (95) Movies (89) Christmas (67) JP (61) Random (40) Award (39) Florida (32) Easter (30) Health (29) Thanksgiving (28) Flowers (23) Mother's Day (20) Vegas (20) tag (20) Father's Day (19) God (19) My Dad (19) Ornaments (19) Friend (18) Anniversary (17) Europe (17) Friday Fragments (17) I've Got Nothing (17) New Year (17) Halloween (16) Chicago (15) Meet Me on Monday (15) Montana (15) Oscars (15) 4th of July (14) Doctor (14) Friday Fill-In (14) Mammoth Lakes (14) Sky (14) VALENTINE'S DAY (14) Debby's Tree (13) For Your Tears (13) Giveaway (12) House (12) Recipes (12) 9/11 (11) Memorial Day (11) Paris (11) This or That (11) Wedding (11) Asthma (10) Bake (10) Carlsbad (10) Holiday (9) Just Because (9) Labor Day (9) Love (9) Rainbow (9) Shopping (9) Sick (9) Disney World (8) Round Robin (8) Veterans Day (8) Fat Ass Friday (7) Frustration (7) London (7) Mark (7) Plants (7) heart (7) 2011 (6) Apples (6) Birthday (6) Christmas Tree (6) Disneyland (6) Fall (6) Houston (6) Loss (6) Miscellaneous (6) PINTEREST (6) Pictures (6) Prayer (6) Thankful (6) Video (6) bowling (6) Car (5) Change (5) Company (5) Earth Day (5) Following (5) Help (5) Monday Smiles (5) One Word (5) Pittsburgh (5) Princess Diana (5) Quiz (5) Spring (5) Sundays In My City (5) Super Bowl (5) The Flower Fields (5) Time (5) Wizard of Oz (5) 2 on Tuesday (4) Blogiversary (4) Breast Cancer Awareness (4) COVID-19 (4) Christmas 2012 (4) Christmas 2013 (4) Christmas 2015 (4) Down (4) Grandparents (4) Housework (4) Memory Monday (4) Murphy's Law (4) On Our Way (4) Remembrance (4) Wine (4) AMERICAN IDOL (3) Blog (3) Cats and Dogs (3) Christmas 2020 (3) Christmas 2021 (3) Clouds (3) Crockpot (3) Dogs (3) Don't grow old (3) Fire (3) Food (3) Gift (3) In Memoriam (3) Italy (3) La Jolla (3) Ladybug (3) May Day (3) Movie (3) Moving in (3) Museum (3) NO-REPLY (3) New York (3) Pizza (3) Reader (3) Royal Wedding (3) San Diego Zoo (3) Signs (3) St.Patrick's Day (3) Summer (3) Weight (3) star (3) 2010 (2) Anxiety (2) Babysitting (2) Big Brother (2) Bodie (2) Bristlecone (2) Bucket List (2) Christmas 2014 (2) Christmas 2017 (2) Christmas 2018 (2) Christmas 2022 (2) Christmas 2023 (2) Cowboy (2) Deer (2) Fishing (2) Five Questions (2) Friday Foto Friends (2) Full Moon (2) Goals (2) Graduations (2) Hallmark (2) Heavyhearted (2) Jack's Tree (2) Jay's Gourmet (2) Knee Replacement (2) Leaves (2) Less is More (2) MAYDAY (2) Meme (2) Mini Cooper (2) Mission Inn (2) Mojo (2) Mountains (2) NYC (2) Old Age (2) Ouch (2) Out to Live (2) Party (2) Potluck (2) Presents (2) Purchased (2) Ranunculus (2) Robot (2) Royal Baby (2) Safari Park (2) Show and Tell (2) Simplify (2) Slap me (2) Snow (2) Sorrow (2) Stranger (2) TBB Asks (2) Tears (2) Things to do (2) Trees (2) Weekend Wrap-Up (2) Wilson Winery (2) '09 card exchange (1) 000 (1) 2016 (1) 2020 (1) 3 On Thursday (1) 48 Questions (1) All My Children (1) Always something (1) Ankle (1) Antiques (1) Aria (1) Bath (1) Billy Elliot (1) Bird (1) Bra (1) Brookfield Zoo (1) COPD (1) Call the Midwife (1) Candles (1) Celebration (1) Chairs (1) Christmas '09 (1) Christmas 2016 (1) Christmas 2019 (1) Church (1) Citizens arrest (1) City lights (1) Clocks (1) Cows (1) DMV (1) DVD (1) Discombobulated (1) Donations (1) Downton Abbey (1) F.Y.I. (1) Fair (1) Farmers Market (1) Favorite Things (1) Featured (1) Finley (1) Flag Day (1) Football (1) Getty (1) Giving (1) Good Morning (1) Grandson (1) Grapes (1) Happy New Year (1) Hoover Dam (1) Horseback Riding (1) IKEA (1) Idol (1) Idyllwild (1) Independence Day (1) Jesus (1) Joshua Tree National Park (1) Julian Bakery (1) June (1) LaJolla (1) Lavender Festival (1) Lifetime (1) Lost (1) Low Carb Treats (1) Madness (1) Mellow Yellow Monday (1) Moment of Silence (1) Music (1) Nana (1) Negative (1) Nipples (1) Nobody Is Home (1) Note Book Journey (1) Nurses (1) Oak Glen (1) One Word 2022 (1) One of those days (1) Owls (1) PT (1) Pinecones (1) Playing Hooky (1) Post 1 (1) President (1) Pretty in Pink (1) Puppy (1) Queen Mary (1) Quick Takes (1) Randomness (1) Regrets (1) Ringling (1) Rock/Hard Place (1) Roosters (1) Route 66 (1) SOS (1) Sale (1) Salt and Pepper Shakers (1) San Diego Harbor (1) Saturday 9 (1) She Loves Me (1) Silver Lining (1) Snail Mail (1) Spam (1) Speak English (1) Spider (1) Spin Cycle (1) Stamps (1) Stars (1) Stoned (1) Summer Lovin' (1) Sunday Stealing (1) Sunset (1) Surprise (1) Survey (1) Swim (1) TBT (1) TP (1) Temecula CA (1) Templates (1) Thank You (1) The Getty Villa (1) The Sistine Chapel (1) Time Out (1) Treasures (1) Trends (1) Trying. Something New (1) Twilight Saga (1) Two On Tuesday (1) USA (1) VOTE 2012 (1) Wicked (1) Willow Tree (1) Windsor Tea (1) Winner (1) Worldwide Candle Lighting (1) Zoo (1) button (1) closet (1) cottage (1) digging (1) handkerchief (1) karma (1) memory (1) tests (1) webkinz (1)